BECE 2016 ICT – Paper One
1. The brain of the computer is the
B. system software
C. read only memory
D. central processing unit
2. An example of output device is the
3. One byte is equal to
A. two bits
B. eight bits
C. sixteen bits
D. one thousand bits
4. To boot a computer means to
A. put it off
B. put it on
C. restart it
D. take it away
5. The horizontal bar that normally lies at the bottom of a computer desktop screen is called
B. start button
C. horizontal ruler
D. quick launch toolbar
6. A folder within another folder is called
C. inside folder
D. innermost folder
7. Processed material which is meaningful to the user in computing is called
8. The copyright laws protect the works of an author for a period of his life time and
A. 40 years after his death
B. 50 years after his death
C. 60 years after his death
D. 70 years after his death
9. An example of a function key on a computer keyboard is
10. Entry of data into a computer is termed
11. The following are hardware components except
12. The following devices can be found in the system unit except
D. scroll wheel
13. The method of reproducing copies of a document is termed
14. Storage media that are similar to compact discs but store more data are known as
A. pen drives
B. hard disks
C. floppy disks
D. digital versatile discs.
15. To boot a computer system, the user needs
A. printer attached
B. operating system
C. virus checking program
D. word processing software
16. The number of command buttons on the control menu are
17. The location where a file is stored is called
18. Viewing television for long periods can damage an individual’s
19. Which of the following is an effect of loud ringing tone of mobile phone?
B. Wrist pain
C. Bleeding nose
D. Damage to hearing
20. Which of the following cannot cause computer virus infection?
B. Input devices
C. Computer network
D. Removable storage devices
21. The following are features of a word processing application window except
22. Which of the following is not a component of a uniform resource locator (URL) ?
A. Web protocol
B. Name of browser
C. Name of web server
D. Name of the file with the directory
23. The speed of modem is measured in
24. A special software that is used to access the internet is called
A. address bar
B. search engine
C. web browser
D. windows xp.
25. One billion bytes is approximately one
26. Changing the desktop wall paper of a computer is termed
A. background change
B. editing the desktop
C. customizing the desktop
D. formatting the desktop
27. The use of ICT in learning and teaching is to make it
A. interesting and boring
B. uninteresting but not boring
C. interesting but students do not learn at their pace
D. easy and interesting, students learn at their pace.
28. To create a space between characters, words and sentences, use the
A. backspace key
B. enter key
C. shift key
D. spacebar key
29. Which computer keyboard key allows users to erase characters to the left of the cursor?
A. Backspace key
B. Delete key
C. Insert key
D. Tab key
30. The process that is used to recall a document previously saved is termed
D. Save as
31. Double-clicking on a program icon on a computer desktop
A. cuts the program’s window
B. copies the program’s window
C. closes the program’s window
D. opens the program’s window
32. Which of the following steps will open, check and correct errors, and submit the file for safe keeping under a word processing application?
A. File, Open, Edit and Save
B. Open, File, Edit and Save
C. Open, File, Close and Save
D. Start, Open, Edit and Save
33. The process of a user placing the cursor at one end of a text, holds down the left mouse button and drag to the other end of the text is referred to as
34. Previewing a document before printing is necessary because it
A. formats the document.
B. displays the name of the document.
C. displays copy and paste of documents.
D. displays how the document will look after printing.
35. Which of the following options is used to access a message from an Inbox in an electronic mailing?
B. Send/ Receive
C. Import / Export
D. Create New Account
36. Which of the following should a user bypass before accessing an email?
A. Gmail and password
B. Yahoo and username
C. Password and username
D. Computer name and password.
37. Which of the following command buttons in the browser enables a user to fetch the latest copy of the webpage?
38. A spreadsheet cell name is referenced by a
C. letter and number
D. number and letter.
39. Mathematical calculations in a spreadsheet application are called
40. In a spreadsheet application, which of the following can be identified by a letter?