BECE 2018 ICT – Paper One
1. How many characters make up a byte?
2. Which of the following devices sends commands into the computer?
B. Pen drive
D. System unit
3. Which of the following storage media normally stores the operating system?
A. Flash disk
B. Hard disk
C. Magnetic tape
D. Zip disk
4. Using a computer application is known as
5. The system tray is also called
B. notification area
C. quick launch
6. The default storage location for files and folders is
A. My Briefcase
B. My Computer
C. My Document
D. My Network Places
7. Which of the following statements are true about files?
I. A file can be renamed whilst it is open.
II. A file cannot be deleted whilst it is open.
III. A file deleted from a computer may be found in a recycle bin or trash bin.
A. I & II only
B. I & III only
C. II & III only
D. I & II & III
8. Which of the following devices is used to process information?
D. Weighing scale
9. Which of the following items is not a source of computer virus?
D. Pen drive
10. How many arrow keys are found on the computer keyboard?
11. In a spreadsheet application, which of the following displays the contents of the active cell?
A. Formula bar
B. Menu bar
C. Name box
D. Standard toolbar
12. The following are components in the system unit except
13. Microsoft Word, Encarta kids, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing are examples of
A. application software
B. operating system
C. open source package
D. system software
14. The following are input devices except
15. From which of the following storage media will deleted items be sent to the recycle bin?
A. Flash disk
B. Floppy disk
C. Hard disk
D. Zip disk
16. The name given to the background area of a computer when turned on is
17. Which of the following is used as a shortcut means to open files, folders and programs?
D. Start menu
18. A folder inside another folder is called
A. attached folder
B. main folder
C. parent folder
19. Which of the following is the effect of loud ringing tone?
B. Hearing impairment
C. Neck pain
D. Wrist pain
20. The computer program designed to prevent viruses from damaging the computer and its files is called
C. virus infection
D. virus protector
21. The default orientation for Word document is
22. In a web browser, where is the website address typed?
A. Address bar
B. Home page
C. Menu bar
D. Status bar
23. Radio satellite setup has two parts namely receiver and
24. A system of interconnected computers, telephones, or other communication devices that can communicate with one another and share applications and data is referred to as
25. The capacity of the 3 ½ inches floppy disk is
A. 80 KB
B. 1.2 MB
C. 1.4 MB
D. 2.88 MB
26. The background image that appears on a computer desktop is known as
A. background theme
B. background panel
C. screen saver
27. Which of the following programs would support the study of Mathematics?
C. MS Excel
28. To create a space between characters, words and sentences, use the
A. backspace key
B. enter key
C. shift key
D. space bar key
29. Which part of the computer mouse button is used to select an object on-screen?
A. Left button
B. Right button
C. Scroll ball
D. Scroll button
30. Making changes and corrections of grammatical errors to an existing document is referred to as
31. Which of the following keyboard keys can be used to delete characters in a Word Processing program?
C. Space bar
32. Which of the following keyboard key should be pressed to start a new paragraph in a Word Processing document?
A. Control + Enter key
B. Down cursor key
C. Enter key
D. Shift + Enter key
33. Which of the following bars displays the heading of an open window?
A. Menu bar
B. Status bar
C. Standard toolbar
D. Title bar
34. The print preview button is located on which of the following toolbars?
C. Header and Footer
35. Which of the following is compulsory when composing and sending an e-mail?
A. Message Body
B. Message Header/Subject
C. Recipient’s E-mail Address
D. Sender’s Name
36. Specialized program that assists a user to locate information on the web and on the internet is called
B. search engine
D. web portal
37. Which of the following is a complete website address?
38. In a spreadsheet application, which of the following symbols represents multiplication?
39. Which of the following is used for multiplication operation in spreadsheet functions?
40. Which of the following is used to find the minimum number among a set of numbers in spreadsheet functions?